Starry Tree by Elmar Akhmetov, Kazakhstan, Winner, Low Light, Open Competition
The swanky gala awards ceremony for the Sony World Photography Awards 2013 draws closer, and the winners of the ten Open categories, the 3D category, and the Youth cetegory winners have just been announced.
Taking the spoils of a Sony A77 each for their prowess in the Open categories are:
- Architecture - Martina Biccheri, Italy
- Arts and Culture - Gilbert Yu, Hong Kong
- Enhanced - Hoang Hiep Nguyen, Vietnam
- Low Light - Elmar Akhmetov, Kazakhstan
- Nature & Wildlife - Krasimir Matarov, Bulgaria
- Panoramic - Yeow Kwang Yeo, Singapore
- People - Hisatomi Tadahiko, Japan
- Smile – Ming Hui Guan, China
- Split Second - Matías Gálvez, Chile
- Travel - Manny Fajutag, Philippines
These ten amateur photographers are now up for being awarded the title Sony World Photography Awards Open Photographer of the Year on 25 April 2013 at the aforementioned swanky gala ceremony, and will be presented with $5,000 in addition to their new camera.
As for the 3D award, that's going to Matjaž Tančič, a Slovenian fashion photographer based in Beijing and Ljubljana.
The overall winner of the Youth category will also be announced on 25 April, but the finalists for that honour are:
- Culture - Alecsandra Dragoi, Romania
- Environment - Xu Wei Shou, Taiwan
- Portraits- Berta Vicente, Spain
The professional photographers have been shortlisted; the winner of the Iris d'Or will be unveiled on 25 April in London.
(All images copyright their respective photographers and courtesy of the 2013 Sony World Photography Awards.)